Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chat with mom on solving world problems

Over a week ago our washer broke down. The repair man came and looked at it but had to order parts. We've now received the parts but are waiting for him to return to rebuild our washer.

Mom is away for the week and I caught her on instant messenger this morning...

mom: This is your Mother Dear! (chatting on Sarah's account)

me:  Hi mother!

me: I can help solve some of the world's problems

mom: What world problems are you wanting to solve?

me: Here is the solution...

Link click here.


mom: The wringer washer is an idea. But I do like my servant that does everything for me!

me:  But this won't brake down on you!

uses less water and can clean better

and best of all ..... no electricity!

mom: Do you want to do the laundry?

me: If we got one of these I wouldn't mind helping

mom:  You are so much fun!

me: What's wrong with that?!

it's very practical. I thought through it very well and it will pay off

mom: But it's a lot more work! We would soon have to figure out how to dirty less clothes!

me: What's wrong with that?!

you see, it's a trade off. Money for electricity, extra water, repairing the washer or just a little more of your time

mom: You're so much fun Jon!  I love your ideas! :)

me:  sure sure....

mom:  Yes, yes!

me:  You see, if you only spent less money but had to spend more time and effort you may opt for the washing machine. But that time could be spent with family...instead of dad at work paying for the washer which broke again

I'd much rather work fewer hours a day away from home and spend more time at home working with my family.

mom:  I appreciate the way you think Jon! :)

me:  I try...maybe someday I can have one... put it on my birthday list

mom:  My Grandma had one.  I remember it being in their kitchen when we would go visit them!

me: :)

mom: Well, bye, bye it has been fun chatting with you! I miss all you! Love and hugs, Mother Dear

me: Bye mother, love you

15 comments:

  1. Jon, you're revolting! True practicality is all that matters. I am not going going to be a mother of 10 children under the age of 10, worn to a frazzle and just barely staying on top of keeping the house going and children and husband cared for, while having to put one pair of underwear through the wringer at a time. If I were a husband, I'd rather come home to a clean house, cheerful children, a fresh and smiling wife, and dinner all ready, than to a messy house, grumpy children, no dinner, and a worn out old dish-rag-of-a-woman in a pile of dirty clothes. I'm sorry, you can't change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things look rosy in fairy land, but here at home, I have learned a thing or two about true practicality. I love being efficient, but going backwards unnecessarily only complicates things and doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...each can have their own ideas. They used to wash that way...for hundreds of years. It can't be that bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice idea, but I agree with Laura!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, of course the wife would have to agree with something like this. I wouldn't want to force it on someone who felt the way you do.

    Secondly, it doesn't have to be a wife/mother only project. Husband and children could help making it a family chore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for being difficult... as you know, the "alternative" way of eating and doing things has been a sore debate for a while, and I was feeling irritable :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or you could come do your laundry at our house and listen to the same debate. Then you could enjoy sweet fellowship and less work.

    MJW

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm... it seems I have some very abnormal ideas. Someday I'll meet one who agrees :)

    Mrs. W I appreciate your participating in the debates, even if you don't agree entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy hearing the reasons behind ideas and decisions, and I especially like to hear young people engage in serious discussions about them. The high-tech vs. low-tech discussion is a subject we debate often at our house.

    In this season of my life, I enjoy my high-tech servants, while at the same time looking toward a goal (Lord willing) of a very efficient lower-tech lifestyle in the future.

    See you all tonight. :-)

    MJW

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend and I figured out it would only take 4 hours once a week to wash clothes for 12 people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do the new old washer wringers come with a safety feature so your child's arm doesn't go through the wringer?

    I agree with Laura.

    Jon, I can see a sales pitch a mile away: "Husband and children could help making it a family chore." That would last about three times, and then "the wife" would be slaving over this machine, with her 18 month old tugging on her skirt, baby crying to be nursed, and husband walking in the door wondering why he doesn't smell anything cooking in the oven.

    You need to help your future wife by making her jobs easier.

    Now if you live in a place with no electricity, then all my arguments are void because a wringer washer would be better than going down to the river bank.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jon, Since the main problem here seems to be having to spend time fixing the washer, maybe you could teach your sisters all about the workings of the machine and show them how to fix it next time. They run the tools and you just coach. It would probably be fun for all (maybe a tad frustrating for you). Anyway after a while they might enjoy fixing it on their own or they might begin to see your point of view on the wringer.

    As far as low tech vs high tech goes, I was impressed by the woodfired oven and stove the Hainlines have, and I would like to get one someday. It was both practical and simple, and the Hainline girls said they really enjoy cooking on it.

    Also, a clothes dryer is really nice but they take lots of energy, are noisy, dusty, they break, etc. If the weather is right I'm for hanging the clothes outside but of course that is more work.

    I'm not so sure a wringer would be that slow or that much work. I've never witnessed anyone using one. I'm sure you can power it with something so you don't have to use muscle power (it would still be simpler and more reliable than the modern wiz-bang washers with all their pumps, control boards, fancy readouts, and plastic gears and pulleys).

    They used to make washers powered by a gasoline engine for those that didn't have electricity. That was in the days when the washer was out on the porch. That would be loud and smelly. I think I might rather wring by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another low tech thought: How about an ice house or ice box instead of an electric freezer. That wouldn't break down. All you would have to do is cut ice off the pond or river in the winter (pray that it gets cold enough) and fill it up. No problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Murphy,

    I have considered both the wood cook stove and the non-electric feezers. I'll post my findings and radical ideas soon. As far as the freezer goes, you would only be able to use a ice house for part of the year. There are many things that could be done to avoid the use of a freezer all together.

    ReplyDelete