Saturday, November 21, 2009

Trucks

Sooner or later, if you're into either buying or fixing up trucks, you'll learn it doesn't pay. If that is what means a lot to you and you wish to spend your money on, then fine. I realized I had higher priorities in life then driving a fully restored 1974 Ford Custom pickup. The cost would be over 20 thousand dollars plus the time. When I got done I would have a pretty truck I'd be proud of but afraid of someone hitting or children playing around. A pickup truck should be primarily for work, not show. I shouldn't have to worry if the children are riding in the driveway on their bikes. If it were that 1974 Custom one of the children smashed into or one of the guys dented while loading it up on a job site I probably wouldn't be to happy, to say the least. Since I plan on having lots of children around and using my truck for work and hunting I decided I needed something better fit to my needs. I didn't think this way from the beginning.

Somewhere along the line I also decided I like manual. After replacing the C6 automatic for $2200 I didn't want to do that again. I like standard transmissions now. They are great for off road, towing and they last longer. I've had power window motors go out so decided I liked manual better. Less things to brake.

The trucks I've had and the stories behind them.


#1. 1988 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 short box. Two tone red and white. Lifted 3" riding on 33". Powered by a 5.0 V8 hooked up to a C6 three speed. The engine had a cam, headers, and Flowmaster exhaust. Power everything. Alarm, remote locks and start. Big stereo and woofers.

This was my first truck. A boy's dream truck with all the toys. I found it at one of the Guide car lots and Dad test drove it for me since I didn't have my license yet. I got the price knocked down to $3100 because of a few small things needing fixing which I had Van Loos take care of (I've now paid for that new shop of theirs). It was powerful and fun to drive. I took it off road a few times but being a new driver I didn't try anything too wild but what I did it took great. I loved that truck.

One time I was in Bellingham with my friend Adam and the fuel line got disconnected. Every time I turned the key to try and start it fuel would spray out from under the truck. I called for a ride while Adam picked up a pack of cards at the Dollar Tree. We played Rummy for a few hours before someone showed up. I had it towed back to Lynden and Van Loos fixed it again for me.



But one day it came to an end. Wednesday, April 25 at 7:30pm I had Adam and Phil with me headed to get coffee when I slid into a pole. That is a story for another time. I got to see it once after it was taken to the junk yard in Sumas. I saved the burnt "F150" decal from the side of the truck.



#2 1988 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 extended cab. White. Stock suspension and tires. Powered by a 5.8 V8 hooked up to a C6 three speed. Power locks and windows. It needed work.



Throughout the summer I watched craigslist for another truck. I was working at Rader Farms and still recovering from the accident. I'd seen this truck earlier in the summer but the price was over $4000. In November, it came up again in a search for $1990.

I drove to Blain with Dad to look at it. The seller was from India. He and his three sons were dressed in robes and turbans - not the friendliest of fellas. We finished the papers and had gone into Cost Cutter where there was a DOL. They left us at that point and we finished the licensing. We turned to leave when I realized he hasn't given me the keys. We ran trying to find them and did in the Cost Cutter. He gave us the keys and we left.



This was the biggest money pit of any truck I'd had! A full tune up, new head gaskets, and thermostat among other little things from Van Loo's had it running nicely. I then had a 2.5" lift installed a new 33's put on with nice rims. The rear end had to be rebuilt and the front u-joints and hubs replaced. New brakes all around. One afternoon coming home from work a freeze plug started leaking and Van Loo's drilled and replaced it. Then the worst: the transmission went out while I was working construction. My buddy Dan Moos towed it to the job site where later I had it towed back to Van Loos. Having no other options I paid the $2200 to have a new one put in. I'm sure there is more but I was getting tire of it. The engine had 190,000 miles and ran ok but was tired and I knew would need to be rebuilt someday. The quote from Van Loo's was $3600 so I started looking for a old truck I could work on my self rather then these new electronic engines.

#3 1982 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab. Primer brick color. 35" mudders. Powered by a 1978 460 V8 hooked up to a standard 4 speed with granny gear. The engine was built for racing and DYNO tested had 500 horse power. It had Edelbrock intake, carburetor, and air cleaner. Holley valve covers. Heavy duty springs, rods, valves, pistons and roller rockers. Comp cam. Electric fan and starter. Headers and custom 3" dual exhaust. Posi track Dana 60 rear end. The interior was stripped and the body was rusted through in several places. Manual windows and locks.



Searching craigslist for an older truck I could work on I ran across a listing that said "Old rusty Ford. 500 horse power $900". Calling the owner I found out it was built in 1998 by a crook who then got thrown in the clink for 30 years. I didn't ask what he did. It had approximately 15,000 miles on the new engine but being raced it had worn the rings out and was getting blow by. When the rings become tired and worn they allow some of the compressed and burning fuel/air mixture to leak past and escape into the crankcase. That is called "blow by". It still drove so I decided to take a look at it. The first trip down to Maple Valley to see it the battery wasn't holding a charge. After a short test drive the battery died. The short taste of 500 horse power sold me. The following Saturday Mr. Van Cleve agreed to go down with me and help fix it. Adam and William came along too. We installed a new alternator and recharged the battery. Because of the work to get it running I got the price down to $750. The truck now running we were off. Twenty minutes down the road the battery died and I coasted to the side of the road. We called Mr. Van Cleve who then went to pick up a Ford manual and some lunch. After eating we were all under the hood again. I then found the problem: a battery splitter had been used and the main battery pulled leaving the backup not reconnected to the alternator. We pulled some stereo wires out from under the dash to rewire the battery and after jumping it were off without anymore problems.



That night I wanted to show it to Phil so we went for a spin. I opened it up and after the tires spun a few times they got traction and started hopping and broke the drive shaft. My first experience with hopping or axle wrap. Note to self: get traction bars or be careful with that much power. I only broke it 3 more times. After one of the snows I took it for a spin and in a series of 360's hit a dry patch of concrete and it hopped, braking again. I laid under the truck for an hour fixing it while it was -9 degrees with windchill. Another time my friend Kevin and I had just put in new plugs, wires, and distributor and were out driving and adjusting the timing. When we finally got it, Kevin driving turned it toward home and stepped on it. I started to warn him but it was too late. Another broken drive shaft. It was an amazing experience owning and driving a driving a 500 horse power.

#4 1974 Ford F250 Custom 4x4 factory high boy. White. 3" lift riding on 36" super swampers. Powered by a 390 V8 hooked up to a C6 three speed with a shifter kit. The engine had Eldelbrock intake, valve covers, and air cleaner, Carter carburetor, headers and Magnaflow exhaust. Factory air conditioning, tilt wheel, and carpet.



I now became interested in restoring trucks. I had the engine from #3 I could use after new rings but needed a good body to work with. Looking on craigslist again I found this truck in Winlock. The perfect truck to restore but the seller was asking $4000 which was over my budget.

I found another high boy in Toledo, five minutes away, and had gone to look at it. After seeing it in person I decided I didn't want it. Right about that time I got a call from the owner of the '74 saying someone had bought it and returned it that morning. Apparently the engine was blown because it had lost a lot of oil. Knowing I wanted to put a new engine in he offered me $1250 delivered to my house.

Finding him is a story. Winlock is a small town of 1500 people. We didn't have a address so drove through town slowly looking for the big white truck. We finally saw it well off the road in a old trailer park whose inhabitants were mostly druggies and crazy men.

A week later he delivered it and I went to work on it. Turns out the oil leaked because of an old gasket on the oil filter and after changing the oil and filter I never had another problem. I made mounts and installed a new chrome bumper with Kevin. After Phil got pulled over driving it with out mud flap we put some on.



#5 1990 Ford f150 Custom 4x4. Two tone white and brown. 6" lift and riding on 35" mudders. Powered by a 300 inline 6 and hooked up to a standard 4 speed with granny gear. Everything is stock except a single cherry bomb exhaust. Manual windows and locks.



I was searching craigslist again. This time I wanted something that wasn't a junker but didn't need restoring either. Not too old or too new. I was also looking for something with better gas mileage. I found this truck in Port Orchard for $1800. Phil drove me out and I bought it. Driving back I got over 20 miles per gallon on the highway.

The body is strong and in good condition. The engine has 170,000 miles but these inline 6's usually run to 300,000 with out any major problems. At that time if I still have it I will probably have another one put in since these are such great engines. Although it only has 145 horse power it also boasts 265 ft. lbs. of torque. It will tow anything and has plenty of power. It drives nicely and does what I need it to do.


Hearing Joel Salatin's story inspired me. $20,000 total spent on cars in his 20 years of marriage! I'm afraid I've already gone over that in 2 1/2 years. I now don't want to spend anymore money on vehicles then I have to. If I could I wouldn't mind riding horse back to town but in today's culture having a vehicle is a necessary evil.

So that is the story of my trucks. Hope you enjoyed it. I hope there aren't many more.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I like truck #4 ;-P It would have been gorgeous restored with a deep green or blue glossy paint job, but as you say, it would have to be a no-touch truck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Laura.=) Although I do like you current one as well.

    ~Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 and #13 Coming soon to a town near you!

    ReplyDelete