Saturday, January 2, 2010

Shave Like Your Great Grandpa: Using A Straight Razor

A few months ago I posted on How to Shave Like Your Grandpa using a double edge, safety razor. For those of you who are really old fashioned, and maybe a little weird (like myself) I'm writing this post on Shaving like your Great Grandpa using a old fashion, straight razor.



I started using a straight razor a few months ago but determind to master it before sharing about my new venture. I'll keep it basic as I'm sure most of you will be reading just for the humor, so enjoy your laugh, but to those who might be interested I can share more information if desired.

Pros to straight razor shaving:

Better shaves. I thought my shaves couldn’t get any better after I upgraded from my Mach5 to an old school safety razor. I was wrong. The first time I shaved with a straight razor I was very surprised how close and nice it cut!

Reduced costs. To get started in it you'll have to invest a bit of money but after you buy everything you're set for life. The only cost you will have is the occasional new shaving soap (unless you're making that yourself).

Another fascinating thought is that you’ll be shaving with a tool that can double as a lethal weapon.

Cons to straight razor shaving:

The only one I could think of was you have to slow down! If you don't, especially when you're new at it, you will bleed! But it's ok to slow down. It's a good time to take it easy and contemplate life. In our fast pace lifestyle we rarely get that.

The Tools.

The Razor. Thiers Issard, Dovo, Tim Zowada, Feather, Vintage razors?? When you first start looking at straight razors you'll be overwhelmed by the choices. Here is where you want to spend the money. Do NOT buy a cheap razor. It will give unsatisfactory results and will not hold a edge or last very long. The names I just listed are all good. As a general rule don't spend under $100. ClassicShaving.com has several choices and good information. I chose to go with the Hart Steel razor. My primary reason was not only is it a quality razor but they are being made in the upper midwest of the United States. They do cost a bit more, about $240, but it is well worth the money.


The Hone. The $10 whetstone you use to sharpen your pocketknife won’t work as a hone for your razor blade. They’re just too coarse for shaving blades. We need a quality hone with finer grit to get that sharp clean edge that will make shaving comfortable. A wood working whetsone with a 4,000/8,000 grit combination will work. I bought mine on Amazon.com for $90.

The Strop. A blade taken directly from a hone is left rough and unfit to put on the face. Stropping your blade smooths the rough edges off your blade and sets those teeth in perfect alignment. This gives your straight razor that keen edge that makes shaving a breeze. I bought my strop from Amazon.com for $36.


Brush. The brush helps lather up the soap in a shaving mug and apply it to your face. Brushes are made of either boar or badger hair. Boar hair brushes costs less, but they hold less moisture and consequently create a poor lather. Badger hair brushes cost more, but they produce a better lather. I bought my badger brush from Amazon.com for $38. Several different shaving mugs are sold but any old mug will do as long as it's big enough to fit the soap in the bottom.


Shaving Soap. Again there are several choices here. I decided to keep it simple and just buy the origional William's Shaving Soap. It only costs about a buck for one puck. So far I've been happy with how it lathers up and the shave.


I by no means claim to be an expert here(!) but I have learned what I like and don't and have done a good amount of research. Any questions or comments? *ducking from hecklers*


5 comments:

  1. Now if I were a guy, I might do this. I really do like old fashioned stuff, and doing things the old way can be therapeutic and just fun. It doesn't take too much extra time or work, unlike the wringer washer... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Jon. I know why you waited until AFTER the talent show to post this! You could've blessed us all with your new talent! That's why you smiled when I suggested someone aught to perform a "how to shave your face" demonstration. I call for a re-play, a do-over!!

    Ah, ha! I've got it! You can do it after church tomorrow!

    Anyhow... That is very cool. I've never met my great grandpas, I'm glad we have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the least, I am anxiously awaiting a picture of you shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Linda, I second the motion!

    MJW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you both want to see it just for the humor and not because you're interested in how it's done :)

    ReplyDelete